Chennai is one of the most amazing places in India; it is filled with colors of fun, culture and heritage. Being a metropolitan city, Chennai boasts with amazing chapters of history which has contributed in making this place amazing culture and traditions. Many dynasties and rulers have ruled the southern part of India make this place a richer in terms of history, culture and traditions.
Today, though there are no more kings and no more kingdoms but their remains and works still are there singing the glorious past of Chennai. All these historical things and memorials are now conserve in the museums, visiting these museums would be enhancing for your Chennai Tourism.
Let us explore the best 5 museums in Chennai which will take you to the bygone era of Chennai and which exhibits the antiques from Pallava dynasties to The British rule.
- Government State Museum
- Fort St. George Museum
- Regional Rail Museum
- Periyar Science and technology Centre
- Rukmani Devi Museum
1. Government State Museum
This beautiful and amazing museum in Chennai is one of the historical museums in Chennai. The place was established in year 1851. Boasting the grand repository of the rich heritage of Tamil Nadu, the museum is comprises with 6 individual buildings that displays various antiques in 46 different galleries.
Specialties of Government State Museum
- Museum is compact with more than 2000 Indian Bronzes and Amaravathi marbles.
- Anthropology section includes artifacts of primitive man lifestyle and showcases the cooper bronze, iron ages, ornaments, ancient pottery, utensils and many more.
- Art section is compact with modern and traditional collection of paintings and sculptures which includes Rajput, Tanjore, Kangra etc. in traditional and Oil paintings, watercolor, graphic in modern fascinates the travellers.
- Science Gallery, Kids corner and Doll’s Gallery is a major attraction for kids.
- The museum remains closed on Fridays and the visiting timings are 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
Read Also: 5 Best Temples in Chennai
2. Fort St. George Museum
Featuring as one of the prominent tourist attractions in Chennai, the museum is absolutely a charm for all travellers who travellers to Chennai. The museum is compact with amazing history of British rule in India. For all those who love to know and learn about the colonial Indian times, then this is just a perfect place for you. Strolling through this museum will be a nice edutainment for kids.
Specialties of Fort St. George Museum
- The museum has three floors and 10 galleries.
- The museums have huge collection of antiques such as armors, canon shots, mortars and many other antiques.
- The Porcelain Gallery is compact with porcelains which were used by East India Company and Arcot Nawabs.
- French Stamps, Coins, furniture along with clocks and lampshades are houses in the Indo-French Gallery.
- The museum remains close on Friday and the visiting timings are 9 am to 5 pm.
Suggested Tour: 7 Nights 8 Days Soul of South India Tour
3. Regional Rail Museum
This unique and beautiful railway is a perfect tourist hub which spread over 6. Acres and is famous for exhibiting the glorious history of railway networks in India. The museum was established in 2002 with the aim to showcase the rich history of Indian Railways. The place exhibits the sizable collection of steam engines that belongs to various era of British Raj. Various vintage coaches of Ooty are other major attraction of Regional Rail Museum in Chennai.
Specialties of Regional Rail Museum
- Museum outside is compact with more than 40 models of trains which are kept on display
- A perfect way to know about the evolution of Indian Trains.
- Museum exhibits bogies, track crossings, 3 tier model train and many more.
The museum is closed on Monday and the visiting time is from 10 AM to 5:30 PM.
Suggested Tour: 4 Nights 5 Days Chennai Mahabalipuram Tours
4. Periyar Science and technology Centre
This amazing centre is one of its kind museums. The Periyar Science and technology centre is an exquisite spot which is a paradise for all science lovers especially for those who has deep interest in outer space. The main aim to open this centre is to encourage students to take science projects and study well. Established in 1983 this museum is spread in 20 acres.
Specialties of Periyar Science and technology Centre
- Working models of scientific inventions are present here.
- The centre has various galleries such as Life Science, Energy Gallery, Transport Gallery, Physical Science gallery and Ocean Gallery.
- Major attraction is Heart Museum, where anatomy of various hearts of animals being displayed.
- Kids will love exploring Children’s Corner, 3D science Theatre and many more other sections.
- The science centre remains closed on Mondays and the visiting time is in between 10 AM to 5:45 PM
5. Rukmini Devi Museum
The museum was built in the memory of Rukmini Devi who was the founder of Kalakshetra. The place is one of the most famous places in Chennai and holds a prominent place in South India Tour Package. One can find n numbers of hotels in Chennai near this place. The place showcases the many items which were collected by Rkmani Devi during her lifetime. These assortments include paintings, sculptures, art objects and sarees which were worn by Rukmani Devi which are pure collection to watch.
Specialties of Rukmani Devi Museum
- Collectable of antiques which are personally collected by Rukmani Devi from around the world.
- Old photographs, bronze idols and sculptures are arranged splendidly for tourist visit.
- Personal items of Rukmani Devi such as sarees and writing table are also on display along with crockery and cutlery.
- The museum is closed on second and fourth Saturday and remains for all days. The visiting timings are from 8:30 AM to 11:30 PM.